So, you decide that you want to finally fill up your empty living room with a sofa. But then a new problem arises: what kind of sofa should you choose? What kind of color would you like? What size do you want? The considerations about choosing the right sofa can be overwhelming because a sofa isn’t cheap. Although you can always find the affordable one, you still spend money to get the ideal item. So, what kind of considerations should you make?
How to Choose the Right Sofa
Here are some basic (but important things) you should think about:
- Size. It is one of the most crucial matters. Choose the wrong size and your sofa will be useless. If you have a small room, the love seat or the sectional will be the perfect option. But then again, how wide or big the sectional will be? Even if you have a bigger room, you still need to consider the size. How much space do you want the sofa to fill? Will you include other chairs or couches? Will the set include a coffee table? Remember, a sofa can be a focal point that will determine the quality and style of your room. If you choose a too small sofa or a too large one, everything will look odd and imbalance.
- Weight. This is one factor that most homeowners overlook. If you move a lot, you would want something stylish and yet light. If you have a love set with retractable built-in bed, for instance, it will be heavy – not suitable for those moving a lot quite often.
- Types. You are familiar with the sectional, the love seat, the divan, the original sofa, the chaise, etc. Choose the one that meets your preference as well as the surrounding décor. For instance, if you choose a Victorian sofa while your living room has a contemporary décor, it will look odd and out of place. However, if you have a colorful divan with the vintage surrounding, everything will look good.
- Layout. Consider where you are going to put your sofa. Is it close to the French verandah door? Is it close to the window? Will you place it on the corner? Will you place it in the center of the room? Layout and room management are important even before you buy the sofa. You don’t want to buy the wrong sofa and find out that there is nothing you can do about it.
- Indoor or outdoor. Some people like to spend their times outdoor – mostly on the verandah. Keep in mind that the materials and structures for the indoor and outdoor sofas are different. Be sure where you are going to place it and then make a research about the suitable material and design.
That’s all about important considerations you need to take before buying a sofa. But, if you want to dig deep into this, why don’t you read this article on top couches buying tips?